'It will bring meaning and value to your life in unbelievable ways'
|written and edited by John J. Bulten
1. Derisive moniker for Republican unemployment legislation: 2 wds., hyph.
7. A cut above, in “man’s hip” estimation?: hyph.
10. Demonic influences in Islam and in the Quran: var.
12. Job dissatisfaction as severe as flight attendant Steven Slater’s: colloq.
14. What’s your point?: 2 wds.
16. My turn!: 3 wds.
17. WHENCE are the Laws that entitle a People to assume a separate but equal Station among the Earth’s Powers: 3 wds.
19. Committee chair Ostrovsky of the Russian State Duma legislature
20. Whence the Franciscan Order and the Poor Clares were founded
22. Excommunicates to heck?
24. “Tangible investments … that lick your hand”, as Patrice Lewis says
26. So opaque, or so transparent, as to be obvious
27. 22 is “the best there is”
29. Portrayed at a masquerade or function: 2 wds.
31. Matched Khrushchev in degree of declamation
34. WHOM, therefore, We, in General Congress, Assembled, appeal to for the Rectitude of our Intentions (with 17-Down): 2 wds.
36. Chant a “pledge to my African nation” in revolutionary charter school, e.g.
38. Fan with encouragement from the sidelines, perhaps
39. Model simultaneously discrete and quantum, indivisible and divided: 2 wds.
40. “Dele” any of the theme entries from the public square, for instance
41. Carcinogenic pollutant in diesel exhaust (no, not the CO2 or H2O): rare
42. Did Searle’s Donald Rumsfeld really make and endow this brand-name “equal”?
1. Iraqi city hosting Shia shrines, ayatollah school, maybe tours of Babylon?
2. Governor named after a Brady Bunch boy but still not a natural-born citizen
3. Elegant pieces de resistance (with all letters in alphabetical order, too)
4. HOW all Men are equally endowed with unalienable Rights to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness (with 28-Down): 2 wds.
5. Officer and Gentleman, or John the Baptist: 3 wds., abbr.
6. Pungency and piquancy of orangepeel, garlic or D.J. Dolce
8. Requirements of living, which individualists and statists solve differently
9. WHAT supports a firm Reliance on its divine Protection, in a mutual pledge of Lives, Fortunes and sacred Honor
11. Countrywide: hyph.
13. Tie together with a slim thread, like serifs on letters, or Fallopian tubes
15. Winner, with Affirmed, of the 1978 Triple Crown: 2 wds.
17. See 34-Across: 3 wds.
18. Colorful thoroughfare in Hattiesburg or Spokane: 2 wds., abbr.
21. Like a journalist at great risk of getting caught up in the story
23. Totally fabricated, like Obama’s claims of legitimacy, one supposes: 2 wds.
25. Nicotine addict on karaoke night, possibly
28. See 4-Down
30. The Mount of Moriah, the City of David or (now) “Occupied Territory”: var.
32. Old Gregorian chant symbols, found in the spiritual “attic”?: rare
33. Antiwar senator and poet who took on Lyndon in 1968
35. Millgrain, or anything else that can be turned to advantage
37. Popularizer of the Internet “handle” before there was an Internet: abbr.